Former Syracuse lacrosse star Nick Mellen inks Boston Cannons deal

Former Syracuse lacrosse stellar defender Nick Mellen, snubbed in the recent PLL Draft, has signed a rookie contract with the MLL’s Boston Cannons.

Nick Mellen, one of the country’s top cover defenders during his Syracuse lacrosse career that recently ended, is officially a pro.

The 5-foot-9 Mellen, a two-time All-American who hails from Central New York, has signed a contract with the Boston Cannons of Major League Lacrosse (“MLL”) ahead of its 2020 stanza, per an announcement from the Cannons.

In the MLL Draft held on May 4, Boston selected Mellen with the fourth pick of the first round, the highest Orange player chosen since Nick Mariano also got taken fourth in the 2017 draft.

Mellen, who attended West Genesee High School in nearby Camillus, N.Y., wrapped up his ‘Cuse tenure as a redshirt senior captain with 101 groundballs and 55 caused turnovers, the latter statistic good for fifth in program history, in just 47 total contests, according to the Cannons press release.

“I’m extremely excited to join the Boston Cannons,” Mellen said in the squad’s statement. “Their reputation in the world of professional lacrosse is unquestioned. I’m looking forward to working with my new teammates and coaching staff. I can’t wait to contribute to their winning culture and do anything I can to help bring a championship back to Boston.”

Cannons head coach Sean Quirk said he is thrilled and a bit surprised that Mellen, who missed the last four games of Syracuse’s abbreviated 2020 term after suffering an injury versus Colgate, remained available at the No. 4 spot in the draft.

“Watching Nick play last year and then the beginning of 2020, he’s an MLL defenseman that could play for us right away,” Quirk said. “He was someone we were planning on taking and I’m delighted he was still available.”

Earlier this week, in somewhat of a stunning development, Mellen didn’t hear his named called in the Premier Lacrosse League (“PLL”) Draft. Five defenders got taken in the two-round, 14-player PLL Draft, but Mellen didn’t prove one of them.

His selection in the MLL Draft brought the Orange’s record totals to 64 ‘Cuse guys drafted in that league, as well as 21 first-round choices.

MLL’s 2020 season, originally scheduled to begin at the end of this month, is delayed due to the novel coronavirus pandemic. League officials are expected to provide an update on the MLL campaign soon.

Congratulations on becoming a professional lacrosse player, Nick, and best of luck in Boston!

Load Comments