The long storied rivalry between Syracuse basketball and Colgate will continue in 2019-20. Here are all the details and why this is important.
Another game has been scheduled for the 2019-20 version of the Syracuse basketball squad. The long storied rivalry with Colgate will continue another year with this agreement.
These two teams have been playing every year since 1993.
While the Orange have dominated throughout with a 126-45 overall advantage in the series, it has always been an interesting rivalry. Syracuse has won 53 in a row (the longest active winning streak in Division 1).
Did you know that the Raiders are the most frequent foe in SU hoops history, per the Syracuse press release.
Like a fine wine, Colgate is getting better with age. Head coach Matt Langel led the Raiders to a school-record 24 victories and added the Patriot League regular-season and tournament titles to his resume. On top of those accolades, he was also voted the NABC District 13 and ECAC Coach of the Year awards, per the Syracuse press release.
While the Orange had less success last season. They did make it to the NCAA tournament but were one-and-done for the first time since 2006.
On top of failing to accomplish their ultimate goal, SU is also replacing 80 percent of the starting lineup from last season. SU’s brightest stars have signed NBA contracts after going unselected in the 2019 NBA Draft:
- Tyus Battle signed with the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- Oshae Brissett signed with the Los Angeles Clippers.
Which leaves Elijah Hughes as the lone remaining member of the 2018-19 Orange’s starting lineup.
Speaking of starting lineups, Colgate had a pretty good one last season in their record-breaking year:
- Three players averaged in double figures:
- Jordan Burns averaged 16.3 points per game and he will be a junior in 2019-20.
- Rapolas Ivanauskas was second on the team with 15.9 points per contest and he will be a senior in 2019-20.
- Will Rayman will also be a senior in 2019-20 and he averaged 13.1 points per contest last year.
On top of the video game numbers, they were able to put up the Raiders made history. Colgate made the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1996 and the third time in their school’s history losing to Tennessee 77-70 in the first round.
Syracuse and Colgate played a tightly contested game in the first half last season back in November, but the Orange picked it up in the second half to pull away with the convincing 77-56 win.
SU had four double-digit scorers in the game with Tyus Battle (24 points), Oshae Brissett (17 points), Elijah Hughes (17 points), and Bourama Sidibe (11 points) all stepping up to the plate.
Syracuse is scheduled to play against Colgate on Wednesday, November 13 in the Carrier Dome.
Here’s an updated look at the 2019-20 Syracuse basketball schedule from what we know thus far (via the Syracuse press release):
Date Day Opponent Time Arena
- Oct. 26 Sat. DAEMEN (Exhibition) TBD Dome
- Oct. 29 Tues. CARLETON, Canada (Exhibition) TBD Dome
- Nov. 6 Wed. VIRGINIA TBD Dome
- Nov. 13 Wed. COLGATE TBD Dome
- Nov. 20 Wed. CORNELL TBD Dome
- Nov. 27 Wed. NIT Season Tipoff vs. Ole Miss/Oklahoma State/Penn State TBD Barclays Center
- Nov. 29 Fri. NIT Season Tipoff TBD Barclays Center
- Dec. 14 Sat. at Georgetown TBD Capital One Arena
- Dec. 18 Wed. OAKLAND TBD Dome
- Dec. 21 Sat. NORTH FLORIDA TBD Dome