Syracuse falls to Villanova in overtime, 75-71

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Jan 26, 2013; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Villanova Wildcats guard James Bell (32) is defended by Syracuse Orange forward C.J. Fair (5) during the first half at the Wells Fargo Center. Mandatory Credit: Howard Smith-USA TODAY Sports


Ryan Arcidiacono hit a three pointer with 2 seconds left in regulation to send Villanova (13-7, 4-3 Big East) to an overtime victory over Syracuse (18-2, 6-1 Big East) Saturday morning 75-71. The loss is Syracuse’s first in the Big East this season, and only the second conference loss in the previous 30 for the Orange.

Darrun Hilliard led all scorers with a game high 25 points. Brandon Triche scored 24 for Syracuse.

Villanova came out hot, winning the opening tip and going on a 10-0 run in the first 2:57 of play. Hilliard scored 7 of those points, forcing Jim Boeheim in to an early timeout.

Syracuse missed their first six shots of the game, before CJ fair made a layup for the first Orange field goal nearly four minutes in to the first half.

That led to a 7-0 Syracuse run, which included a Rakeem Christmas alley-oop, and a Jerami Grant 3 point play.

After a Darrun Hilliard three, the teams traded baskets for a 16-9 Villanova lead with 11:48 remaining in the half.

A Michael Carter-Williams floater in the lane and a Rakeem Christmas layup made it 20-13. Darrun Hilliard then hit his third three of the half for Villanova, and was followed by a Jayvon Pinkston layup which gave the Orange its largest deficit of the season at 12 with a 25-13 Wildcat lead with 7:12 left in the first half.

A Rakeem Christmas free throw, followed by one from Brandon Triche and two from Michael Carter-Williams cut the Villanova lead to six at 25-21 with 3:30 left in the first half, topping an 8-0 Syracuse run.

A Mouphtaou Yarou layup ended a 6 minute scoring draught for the Wildcats late in the first half. The teams then traded threes, followed by a Hilliard layup after a Michael Carter-Williams turnover. The Orange then held for the last shot, and a Brandon Triche second chance basket at the buzzer made it a 32-36 halftime lead for Villanova.

The second half turned in to a foul shooting contest, with both teams in the bonus for over ten minutes of the half.

Grant began the second half hitting two free throws and making a tough layup to force a Jay Wright timeout just 45 seconds in. Villanova then turned the ball over, and Grant hit a three to give Syracuse their first lead of the game with 18:52 left.

James Bell then took the lead back for Villanova with a field goal, followed by a Hilliard three point play which gave Villanova a four point lead, 37-33.

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

comments powered by Disqus