That damn week of the winter where stupid academics get in the way of our Syracuse Orange sports viewing pleasures. As interesting of a city Syracuse is, some fans might be wondering what they can do or look forward to during this Syracuse off-week to keep themselves occupied. Here is a bunch of suggestions for us local folk who need to overcome boredom.
- Read Inside The Loud House- Because you know I love you! I’ll be full of all kinds of fun this week regarding SU, the Big East, Pinstripe Bowl, and everything else you can think of. This site, as well as the other blogs online are a great way to get your Syracuse fix everyday.
- Check out all the new stuff at Destiny USA- Remember that big mall expansion they talked about building back in like 1999? Well they finally are getting close to completing it (sort of). Head on out to the mall and check out the new stores, eat some grub from a new restaurant, go for a race at the go-kart track, or see some sweet science experiments at Wonderworks. Aside from ‘Cuse hoops, Destiny USA is the most talked about thing currently in this city, so why not check it out when your getting your holiday shopping done?
- We still have ‘Cuse players playing- Just not in college. Carmelo Anthony just scored 35 last night in a come from behind win for the New York Knicks over the Denver Nuggets. In the NBA, you’ll never hear the word academics and have to worry about stoppage of play, so check out some former ‘Cuse players as they tear it up in the Association. The Knicks play on the MSG Network (channel 800 for the Syracuse market on TWC), and you can get highlights all the time on the NBA Network so you can watch Neon Dion, Hakim Warrick, Kris Joseph learn on the bench. Hell, you might even be able to catch a D-League game and have yourself a Fab Melo sighting if you get lucky.
- We lose Syracuse for a week, but the NHL has lost hockey for half a year- But this is a good thing for us. With the NHL on a lockout, the AHL is having a boom of talent. So head on out to the War Memorial and watch the Syracuse Crunch! The Crunch have three home games this week, and you should be at one of them. I’m not the biggest hockey fan, but I always have a good time at Crunch games with a great atmosphere and a tremendous job done by the promotional staff for the team.
- God bless the NFL- Although it’s the Bengals against the Eagles on Thursday night, it’s still football baby. Head on out to your pub of choice (Rosie’s), and enjoy yourself some football with your buddies (responsibly of course).
Feel free to offer up any more suggestions. Just have some steady breathing and relax, and the ‘Cuse will be back before you know it.